Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bass next door

Carl is back from Nairobi and in good spirits.  He has torn off 30% of the tendon that attaches to the patella.  The doctor hopes that he will be able to walk without a crutch in 4-6 months.  Not exactly the skippity good news that we were hoping for but WAY better than heading to Canada for surgery.  

So... to summarize our break...
Carl tore his patella tendons
Alice broke her ankle
New houseworker and her daughter had typhoid
Spent two solid days with a girl whose measles broke out the following day
Amy's baby had bronchitis (the viral contagious one)
so the rest of us are very very thankful to be strong and healthy!!!

 So with life SO slow we have had to entertain ourselves in interesting ways.  We have moved a bed into the middle of the living room and absolutely LOVE it!!

 While Carl was gone in Nairobi we attended an 8 hour birthday party.  Awesome!!  3 birthdays celebrated.  Leandra is now 4 and Yves is 2.  I earned my keep by blowing up the inflatable pool almost entirely by myself.  My legs were SO wiggly afterward!!! 

 It was on the other end of town and I had to work at that end of town the next day too.  So we spent the night in a tent which was so much fun.  Also nice to be able to celebrate without having to dread the drive home through the city.  In the morning the kids all brushed their teeth together.  They have a little egg timer and they have to brush until all the sand has drained down.  AWESOME idea!!

The tent I brought has an old zipper and in the morning when I got up I was worried they would get stuck inside so I left the door open... only... they have a huge dog and he was comfortable enough to go in the tent.  Kaia woke up to him playfully biting at her pjamas!!!  Way scarier than a broken tent zipper!!!  They recovered quickly.

 And here is my 'work'.  We are constructing a tire climbing wall.  Here you see Claudia, our two gardener assistants, and the 7 children we were watching.  Obviously our days could be slightly more productive!!

And our new PROBLEM!!  Here is our back porch you can see at the bottom of the photo, our back wall, and a roof just past it.  Well that roof is the roof of the new local bar.  They play music all day some days and every single night.  It is loud with lots of bass and you can see how close it is to our house.  I find it insane that someone can just open something like that in the middle of a residential area and no one complains.  IT IS TERRIBLE!!!  So we are looking for a new place and hope to move as soon as possible.  More on that to come.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness I am speechless about the bar and you having to move!!!
    I hope the school will be of help in this regard.
    What next??????????????

    ReplyDelete