Friday, June 1, 2012

Duck Party

A few months ago Melanie's askari came bearing gifts.  Two beautiful chickens that were adored.  Adored so much, in fact, that he brought a third soon after.  Melanie built them the most beautiful coop in all the land and they live peacefully and idyllically in Melanie's garden.  

A few weeks ago, encouraged by her gratitude, her askari came bearing more gifts.  Two beautiful ducklings. 

 Melanie fell in love.  
She threw them a duck party. 

And... one of the things I love most about Melanie...
after I arrived I was chatting with the other guest about how excited I was to be invited to a Duck Party.  Well... She knew nothing about the ducks at all!!  She was there for a little girl's birthday!!  Oh Melanie!!  Any excuse for a party!!!  Even if she has to use different excuses for different people :)

Anyway... back to the ducks.
Melanie is so in love with them that she is building them a little duck pond.  

Darn thing is nicer than our pool and I am totally jealous!!  

She promised to pose in her wellies in front of the finished pond.  I know you can't wait.  

What I have recently learned about ducks....
1. They are shy, but should open up with time.
2. They have a 28 day incubation period.
3. They POOP a lot!!
4. You can eat their eggs just like you would a chicken
5. They POOP so much that they POOP while they eat!!

DANDY eh

2 comments:

  1. Well I was interested to find out about the word Askari( a somewhat familiar term but still no clue) and googled it.Very interesting.
    Now does Melanie really have her own Askari and why?
    Ducks should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the new picture of the children.....cute as ever

    ReplyDelete