Sunday, October 23, 2011

October Break

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful our October Break was.  12 days of playing, eating, lounging, and lots of utter bliss.  We had at least 500 shots from the holiday and I find it SO hard to pick just a few to post.... but here goes it. 

 The rains came for about 2 weeks.  Carl was so kind and did loads of child rearing so that I could spend hours upon hours in the garden.  Our biggest crops right now are salad and radish.  Yumm.  We also had to down many banana trees.  Oops.  This one was a tough one!!

 While I worked the children played.  Hands down this sprinkler is the best thing we brought back from North America.  Crazy fun at a moments notice with no clean up... my kind of toy!

 He he.  Plumber butt!!

 One day we went to the movies to see the Smurfs.  Only it was 'broken'.  Broken?  Pity.  So we bought ice cream instead.  No complaints.

 Snake Park again.  We haven't been for a year so it was very new to Theo.  Kaia is an old pro and was so kind and caring to show him how to hold and pet a snake.

 Great face.  He really enjoyed it but something spooked him at the end and he panicked and wanted it off.  Otherwise a very positive experience.

 The highlight was our trip to a working farm for a couple of days.  We enjoyed everything they had to offer and learned a lot about farms and animals.  Here is Theo's first time feeding a horse a carrot.  Kaia was really scared but she did it too.

She also milked a cow.  I am SO proud of her!  So much concentration and see how much milk she is getting too!!  That's m' girl!!
They both also rode horses against a setting sun overlooking Mt. Meru.  Spectacular.

Baby lambs, rabbits, chickens, guinnea fowl, turkeys, and pigs.  Lots of variety.  No huge surprise here... Kaia's favorites were the lambs and rabbits.

Spectacular hike through the forests down to a beautiful rocky brook.  

We hiked with Colobus Monkeys keeping a watchful eye.  Can you find them in the trees?  Here is what they really look like if you are interested.  They are beautiful. 

It was all downhill to the brook and then all uphill back.  Kaia was whiny on the way down and wanted to be carried but got some huge gust of speed and booked her way back up to the top and all the way back to the farm.  Again... I am SO proud of her!!

And when we were tired of walking there were plenty of other forms of transport.

 And most of our nights ended something like this.  Not that our day to day life isn't wonderful too... but nothing beats a nice relaxing holiday together.

I would also like to thank Amy and Maree for their beautiful photos.  Most of these I didn't actually take on my own. 

5 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTEST
    TEST

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK WHEN I TRIED IT BEFORE IT DID NOT WORK.........AFTER I HAD WRITTEN SO MUCH IT DISAPPEARED
    A VERY NICE HOLIDAY BY THE LOOK OF THINGS.
    WHILE HOLDING A SNAKE IS NOT MY CUP OF TEA I AM HAPPY TO SEE THE CHILDREN ARE COMFORTABLE WITH IT.
    WHO IS THAT PERSON ON THE FACING PAGE HOLDING AN UMBRELLA WHILE BIKING ON A VERY MUDDY ROAD?GREAT THE CHILDREN ARE ENJOYING AUNT DONNA,S WATER BUG SPRAYER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The umbrella guy isn't anyone we knew... I just love the guys riding on motorcycles with an umbrella against an African backdrop. This is the first one that has turned out for me... always too blurry in the rain. So anyway, my point is... just some random guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD,I WONDERED IF IT WAS CARL GOING TO THE SCHOOL ON THE BACK ROAD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! wouldn't THAT be an amazing shot!! Maybe one day I can be so lucky as to get that shot too :)

    ReplyDelete