Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Father Christmas

Gearing up for Christmas here now.  
We plan to put up the tree this weekend and to me that means Christmas cookies and Eggnog!!  How do I make eggnog?  So I spent the better part of today baking my mom's old recipes and will try to do a few more batches throughout the week.

 Theo helped.

 Then in the afternoon Father Christmas came to Melanie's house.  A German tradition we really enjoyed being a part of.  The kids waited patiently for an HOUR for his knock at the door and were so excited when he finally arrived!!  Even the non-German kids weren't too surprised to see him in this outfit... I guess any old guy sporting a big beard and funny attire with a bag of gifts will do.

Kaia has asked some questions about how Santa looks different sometimes... how could she not when he was black just a few weekends ago!!  We explained he can't go everywhere and see everyone, especially this time of year when he is so busy.  So instead he has many helpers who represent him.  A little girl today explained to me that he is a bit like a chameleon; he looks different when he goes to different places and meets different people, to fit in.  I thought that was quite clever too.

I did tell Kaia last night that she did once meet the REAL Santa in Finland when she was just a baby, and that was very special since most of the time you do only see the helpers.  I told her that we saw him in the Post Office when we were mailing our Christmas presents and that he gave her a candy.  Then I sat back to enjoy the beauty of a child who still believes in Santa.  The magic and wonder in her eyes, I think her cheeks even suddenly became more plump and rosy.  I don't know that I have ever seen her so excited.

 Anyway... Father Christmas was so good with the kids they were all entranced.  The night before I emailed him a few lines of what Kaia and Theo had been doing lately and something they could work on.  All the parents did so he took a moment to speak to each child individually. 

Kaia:   
Very helpful in the kitchen including candy cane cookies
Very caring with Theo including putting him down for a nap this weekend
Inspiring and uplifting when she does her crafts or dances to music
A few times she has said things that are not true

 
Theo:   
Very helpful in the yard including getting chicken eggs and keeping chickens out of the garden
Makes everyone around him happy with his infectious laughter
Can sometimes be a little rough with Sassy

And when Kaia's shyness reared and she plastered herself to my leg I was really worried he would devastate her by reprimanding her for lying in front of other people.  But good old Santa did a great job and skimmed right over it... no wonder everyone loves him so much.   

 I brought presents for the kids that I slyly gave to Melanie for him to give to the kids.  I had no car the last 2 days and just picked them from our gift stash.  Theo even helped he wrap them, I figure he won't really be the wiser.  Kaia was too shy to go up an get hers but Theo was more than happy to assist.

Kaia got this Pretty Pink Sticker Purse. and she RECOGNIZED it from the gift stash!!!  She didn't think much of it though and explained to Daddy that Santa came to the house to pick out her gift!!  Hilarious.  And a lesson that I am going to have to be more careful.

Pray also recognized his gift.  When Santa left behind a small rope Pray commented about it to me.  I said I was sure it would be no problem, when he got home he could tell the Elves and they could make a new one.  Pray said, 'the elves didn't make my present, he got mine at the Blue Heron.'   Clever kids.

Anyway... Kaia slept with her book all night long.  She held it in her hand while she slept an dragged it with her when she squirmed or rolled over.  It was still in her hand when she woke up this morning.  So cute!!  I think I am loving Christmas even more as and adult than I did as a kid.  Is that even possible?

4 comments:

  1. That is too cute, I'm going to miss you all this Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! A post that even drags uncle dave from the depths of down under!! Oh my gosh are we going to miss you all at Christmas!! As I was writing how much better Christmas was as a parent than it ever was as a child... it made me think it must be just divine as a grandparent. We will really miss all the family at the holidays. Skype skype skype babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of Theo licking the beaters made me laugh as it is your tag line. Lindy used to catch me with Santa stuff....you have to be so careful as they put the pieces together and your yarn had better be well spun...

    ReplyDelete