Sunday, February 20, 2011

Baking Bread

 I am slowly getting on my oven's good side.  Ever since that horrible week of losing power every single day we have been trying to plan ahead in the kitchen.  So I spent Saturday slaving away from dawn till exhaustawn.  

Baking bread has been especially difficult, the top would burn and the inside would still be doughy.  But yesterday the 'cook from below' function magically started working for the first time since we moved in.  It doesn't have a temperature control but I decided to be a risk taker and see what would happen.  It turned out almost perfectly.  Just a little crumbly on the top, any suggestions?  Nevertheless it tastes SO good with the Vegemite Uncle Dave brought us from Australia!! 

Kaia-ism:
The guavas from our tree are small and full of seeds.  Carl crunches them and I think it is terrible for his teeth.  Kaia is intrigued and I cringe whenever she crunches them.  Yesterday I couldn't help myself and I say, 'Those seeds are too hard to chew, your teeth might just fall right out'.  Kaia looks at me, her eyes brighten, and a huge smile creeps across her face.  'Really!!' she says, 'Then I can put it under the pillow and the Tooth Fairy will bring me a gift!!!'

I lost that argument!!  Time to put a guilt trip on Carl and get him to deal with it.

2 comments:

  1. The bread looks great Pamela.........I would have given up trying to use that inefficient oven by now.What did you have to do ,give it a good swift kick? The tooth fairy visits Tanzania does she?Nothing gets by Kaia
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend thinks it is because we have been asking for a new one... maybe the oven is trying to be on his best behavior. The older kids in Kaia's class are starting to lose a few teeth, it is super cute!

    ReplyDelete