Friday, March 25, 2011

Grass Blades

We miss Carl.  He has been gone 12 hours a day 5 days a week for as long as I can remember.  Today he is chaperoning a disco and is gone 630am-1100pm.  Thankfully there is a break in 1 1/2 weeks.

Throughout our garden we have huge ugly sunken dirt paths.  Since everything is thriving in the rains what could be a better time to fill them with dirt and plant grass?  To plant grass you literally do it blade by blade and then wait for them to grow together.  

Theo helped.  I rummaged through the garden finding good blades for transplants and Moses planted them in our mud pile.  I asked Theo to bring Moses a blade and he did.  Then I asked him to bring a few in the ice cream bucket and he did while I collected more on the orange plate.  Then on his own Theo started filling the bucket from my plate and bringing full buckets to Moses.  Think he might be gifted.  And certainly helpful.

 Found this grasshopper in the garden today.  At least Moses says it is a grasshopper.  I have never seen one so fat.  He couldn't even jump.  Moses says he eats well in the garden.  Cute.

 Wait a minute.  NOT so cute!!  Is that what is eating everything in my garden.  Light bulb!!!  It is amazing how you can not notice something at all and then see it everywhere.  There are so many grasshoppers in our yard that when you walk through the grass you can see them all jump out of the way.  Hmmm.  Never occurred to me to wonder what they ate.  Still so much more to learn.

As for that grasshopper... Moses put it into a soap container for Kaia.  I don't know why.  After dinner she opened the container in the kitchen and she screamed and screamed as it jumped on her.  Theo stepped on it.  Stereotypes start young.

1 comment:

  1. Theo to the rescue? How brave!
    Do you think you can sneak some grass seed back to Arusha Pamela.It would be a lot easier wouldn't it.

    ReplyDelete